Following the amazing success of the ipad, nowadays there are many low-cost and cheap tablet pcs going into the market. They are so beautiful. If you are planning to purchase one, please think about the strength and the weakness of the tablet pcs:
Strength 1) Stay connected to the web in everywhere and browses comfort on a well fit screen. The tablet pc is very portable because of its weight and size. Even though many smartphones are very small and portable, the screen size may be too small when we use that for internet surfing. This is why we found many people using ipad on the street.
2) Operate just by intuition and easy-to-use. Usually people don’t have to read menu before operate the tablet pc. It is all by intuition and nearly no need to learn. It can be easily used with the fingers. It suits every people. Some parents even buy the tablet pc for their little child to read digital story book and play interactive games.
Weakness 1) Relatively weak in CPU and hardware. The processor that tablet pcs are using is fairly weak when compare with the X86 series. (There are now some high end product which uses more powerful CPU. E.g. some new tablet pc using dual core CPU. But its performance still be restricted by the hardware) Thus, we cannot perform processor-intensive applications on the tablet pcs. However, we do have some remedies be covering in the tips section.
2) Not effective for typing job. As the main input is a touchscreen, it is not good and not efficient if we have to type a lengthy document. We can us the built-in virtual keyboard with the touchscreen. However, it is still not as comfortable as typing on a real keyboard. There’s a solution for this problem. It will be covered inside the tips section. .
3) Unsuitable for using long hours. The power will be eaten up quick if we do not do any optimization from its default setting.Watching movies and Playing games will consume the power very rapidly.
How can we tackle the problems and enhance the performance? Here are our 4 hints to improve your tablet pc:
1) Use external real keyboard and holding rack when you are doing typing job. There are some lightweight small keyboards in the market can be put into a tablet pc bag. If you do a typing job, you can use that to improve the typing experience. In addition, there are some mini rack designed for holding up the table pc and you will be more comfortable when typing.
2) Power management. Turn off not-in-use services including Wifi, Bluetooh, GPS location service. They’ll waste a lot of power. For example, if you are just using Google doc to edit your work document at a bistro. The GPS function may not give you any value at that period but just wasting your power. Then just turn that off! Adjust the screen to a suitable brightness level. The default setting of the tablet pc may be a bit brighter than what you need. We can save power by adjusting that down to an appropriate level.
3) Using remote desktop software to connect to your pc at home or at office. This allows you to make use of a higher CPU power (X86 series’ power) with your tablet pc. As long as your internet connection is stable and secure, you can do all the stuff just like you are seating at home or at the office. Moreover, there is an advantage that you don’t have to worry to synchronize your files. It is because you are using the same files no matter you are on the street, at your home or at your office through the remote desktop.
4) Utilizing the cloud technology. There are many online services nowadays to replace traditional PC programs. They are using cloud technology and that means they are not using the CPU power of your PC but instead they are using the power of their server. For example, sumopaint is an online service that trying to help you edit pictures online. Google doc is a famous free online tool which nearly can replace microsoft office. There are many on the net and we expect more to come. This are the services that will not create pressure for our CPU.